Who Celebrates the World Day?
Promoting a Non-Violent Childhood in Kenya (Isiolo)
On the 20th of November parents, teachers, care givers, religious leaders and members of civil society from Isiolo County came together at the Wamy Isiolo Children’s Home to commemorate the World Day of Prayer and Action for children.
The theme of the open forum was Stop Violence Against Children. In line with the theme participants discussed several issues that touch on education and children in the marginalised areas like Isiolo. These issues included: early/child marriages, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), importance birth registration, positive parenting and positive discipline. Forty-four adults and 15 children from WISCH were in attendance. The participants included parents/guardians of WISCH children, teachers from WISCH and other neighbouring schools, religious and civil society members and opinion leaders.
The forum resolved to promote the following:
- To practice and disseminate the information acquired at the forum to other parents, guardians and care givers.
- Increasing vigilance on early marriages and FGM.
- Promoting and sharing positive parenting principles, skills and tools.
- Participants vowed to be role models for their children
- Urging leaders in authority and outside to continue taking positive action for children in the area of education especially in the marginalised zones.
A number of other activities were incorporated such as a Positive Parenting and Positive Discipline Training, poems and Kaswidas (Islamic songs) presented by children, prayers, health breaks.
- WAMY Kenya Isiolo Post Event Report
Post event follow- up report and evaluation